Thursday, June 25, 2015

Free Man

It's been a minute, and i have officially ran out of excuses as to why i am a terrible blogger.


But i am about to fill you in, and give you all the deets. 

So, the past couple of weeks a lot has happened. A lot of GOOD stuff. 

Britt had the honors of being this years Utah Summer Games torch carrier. He received the Spirit of the Games Award, and got to carry the torch in the open ceremonies. Unfortunately i was out of town, and didn't get to be there for it, but my parent said that it was an unforgettable night! Britton felt so much love from everyone there, and it was so cool for him to see how many people are running alongside him through this uphill battle he is facing. It means so much to our family that he was chosen for this special award and high honor. I think it is safe to say it was a night that he will never forget. 


He had a little operation on his left eye, the day after his birthday. They sewed 3/4 of it shut, so he has a little slit that he can see perfectly through. They decided to do this because his tear ducts aren't producing enough tears to lubricate it, thats why he got the ulcer and abrasions on the outer eye…which was scary. But this is supposed to help it heal, so that more moisture will stay in the eye. They said it just depends on how fast the outer layer of his eye heals, but it could be like that for up to 6 months! He went to the eye doctor at the beginning of this week and he saw 20/40..which is the best he has ever seen!!! We were so excited about that! We are hoping that it continues to heal the way it is supposed to, so that the kid can see again!!


He has been loving the new pool! He would spend all day in there if he could! It has been so good for him, because he can walk around and swim underwater, and all sorts of stuff!



Britt just finally got his feeding tube out on tuesday! WOOOHOOO HE IS A FREE MAN! He was so so excited to get rid of that thing. Thankfully he is now able to drink enough water through his mouth, so the tube was no longer needed. It is so weird to not see it hanging out from underneath his shirt!haha They just popped it right out and stuck some gauze over it, so the hole is just supposed to heal right up in a few days! 


I took him shopping the other day with his friend Ally. We went to a few stores in the mall and tried on a bunch of clothes! I was a little bit nervous about taking him out and doing all of that by myself, but it went perfect!! It was so much fun, and he still knows exactly what he likes and what he doesn't. The only thing that has changed is what size he wears…hahahah, he's not so skinny anymore. We got some really cute outfits for him to wear on all of his future hot dates;)

Last night he went on a ride with my dad in the razor. He has been asking him for over a month if he can try driving, so my dad took him out and let him try! He did it!! Just down the street, but it was such a huge accomplishment for him! He was so nervous he wouldn't be able to or that he wouldn't remember how to, so for him to be able to do that, even just for a second, really helped his confidence and was just what he needed. My dad couldn't believe how well he did either. 

He ran into Kycie yesterday at therapy! It was the first time the two had met, even though it feels like they have known each other this whole time. I wasn't there, but my mom said it was such a great experience. He just held her and gave her the biggest hugs! He said he wanted to take her home with him. I think they are each others biggest fans. 



He has just been doing so well lately. It blows me away, each day the progress we see. I really think the Rhea's coming over and working with him every morning has helped him so so much. His balance and strength is coming along, but definitely has a long way to go! He is coming up on the end of his 20 physical therapy visits next week. He is nowhere near being well off enough to end therapy, so we are in the process of appealing for more visits! The first year after the brain is injured is very crucial in the healing process. The brain is most susceptible to relearning things during that time frame, so we really really need him to be able to continue in his therapy! If the appeal doesn't go through, it is 1000 dollars per week for his visits, which is a crazy amount, but we have to do what we have to do, for him! So we are crossing our fingers and praying that the insurance will grant him more time! They have been so good to us so far, so we are hopeful! But if you could please include that in your prayers we would be so grateful! 

It is incredible to see how far he has come since day 1. We are so thankful everyday to watch him progress and become more of himself a little bit at a time. It is like watching a big huge miracle unfold in front of your eyes, and in your own home. We know that it is thanks to a loving heavenly father and a loving community who had rallied and believed in him every step of the way. The prayers continue to bring to pass so many needed blessings. Thank you for continuing to think of him, he still has a long road ahead! 










6 comments:

  1. I am from Cedar City and I have been following Britton and Kycies story. In fact we were in the PICU with our then 2 year old at the same time as Kycie. My three year old had a portion of her brain removed in January due to seizures. Following both of your stories have been so inspirational for me. The brain is an amazing thing and it gives me hope for my girl who is so far behind. Today I had Maddy in St. George for her OT and in came Britton. I wanted to say something, but you guys don't know me so I wasn't sure if that would be weird or not. I just want him to know he's so inspirational for us. We'd love for you guys to follow Maddys story on her FB page Medicating Maddy, prayers for Madalyn miracle. There's days when we need to hear from others. You guys are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Autumn, my name is Leighann, I'm from Long Island, NY. I found your blog through Instagram and felt compelled to write to you. In January 2009, my younger brother (17 y/o at the time), was in a car accident that left him with a traumatic brain injury and bilateral nerve damage in his legs. I was so overwhelmed with emotions while reading some of your post. I have literally walked a mile in your shoes! I know everything you and your family have been feeling and going through these past few months. Our brother's stories have so many similarities, I actually laughed out loud while reading your post about the "glorified ugg boots" because that is exactly what I called them when they were given to my brother lol!! I just wanted to say, from one sister to another, that you and your family are amazing! Britt is where he is in recovery today because he has such a strong, loving, supportive team behind him! The road after TBI is a long and very difficult one, with so many ups and downs, but your brother is going to surprise you every day! It has been almost 6 1/2 years since my brother's accident and he is still making progress towards his recovery! Anyway, I just wanted to write you a little something, because Britts story really touched me! I hold such a special place in my heart for stories like these, and you will too.....

    If you ever want to check out my blog, although it's not nearly as nice as yours, please do www.caringbridge.org/visit/keithbrunjes

    I wish you and your family all the best!

    Xo Leighann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the post.. parents are worlds best person in each lives of individual..they need or must succeed to sustain needs of the familyfriv Games online 2020
    Jogos live
    friv game

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called DR EMU, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of DR EMU, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Contact him via email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete