Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Class Clown


Today was yet another good day for Britt. He walked up and down the hallway with the help of the therapists, who have I mentioned, ARE THE REAL MVP'S. Seriously, they are unreal and do so much for my brother. He also got to eat a spoonful of applesauce and vanilla pudding today for the first time with the speech therapist! It was hilarious. He mostly spit the applesauce back up, but he started rubbing his belly and saying "mmhmmmm, ohhhh yeahhh". He is still a chatterbox. He is starting to say more, and it's really hard for us to understand what he is trying to say, so he has been getting a little bit frustrated, as have we. It's hard when he is trying to tell us something and we don't understand. For real, I feel like me and my mom are trying to solve the da vinci code or something hahaha, trying to figure out what he is saying every time. He has been saying and doing the most hilarious things. And the funniest part about it is, you can barely understand him when he talks, so when you are able to make sense of the finn things, they are even funnier than they would usually be.

So today my mom was talking to the nurse about drinking soda, and my mom was like, "yeah, I'm going to start slowing down on the pop." and britton looks at her and says, clear as day…"yeah right"

I asked my mom what i should go get for lunch today and I said something about sandwiches, and britton raises his hand up and starts bouncing around…"I want one"

He asks everyone "how are you?" at least 10 times.

Everytime someone talks about how his trach is gone…he sings, "nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, goodbyeeeeeee."

Last night his friend was in talking to him and he was talking about how they are in the 3rd quarter of school…and Britt puts his hand on his head and says, "ugh, I've been in here wayyyy too long."

Yesterday I had 2 friends with me, and he says "who is that girl?" it took us a while to figure out what he was saying but we finally got it, and we said what girl? and he points to my friend, "that girl right there!" and we all started laughing.

Anytime someone tall walks by, "wow he's tall."

He has this little thing he hold in his hand that he can squeeze and it calls a nurse, and he has been using it as a microphone.

My brother has always been funny…but man, i don't know what has gotten into him.

Britt got voted most preferred sophomore at he high school, so they came and interviewed him today and my mom said it was pretty funny.

I don't know why, but the last few days have been kind of hard for me, personally. I have been having all these flashbacks of Britt, and they just pop into my head randomly. Him running down the stairs to give me a hug every time i head back to school. Or me going to pick him up in the summer from football and him stinking up my car. Taking a million pictures of him every time I find him sleeping. Yelling at him to come down for dinner, and sitting at the counter picking on ledger and greyson and eating off their plates. Him hiding the remote control from me so i couldn't change the show he was watching. I just picture his voice, and him walking around without a shirt on. It's made me more emotional than i have been in a long time. It's just hard to see him everyday, it scares me that he won't be the same. I guess I can see things in his personality right now that aren't the same as he was before. And it scares me. It probably sounds selfish, and I don't mean to sound that way at all. It's just hard. And terrifying. I will be the happiest, luckiest most grateful person in the world, no matter the outcome of this all. No matter where he ends up as far as recovery. I miss that boy, a lot. and it's hard not knowing if he will ever be the same. I guess it's just crazy and a little bit confusing to me how he could be the normal, healthy, annoying brother he was before Nov 1, and then everything was different. Sometimes I still wonder if this is just all a big bad dream, and that someday I'll wake up. It's not though, it's reality. And it sucks, it really does, but you just deal with it right? As best as you can! And I know that the big man upstairs has got a plan, a really good one, and that he doesn't give us trials we can't endure…but that doesn't take away the occasional breakdowns, or worry, or fear that I guess I'm feeling right now. I just have to keep on believing, praying and having faith in good things to come for my Britt, we all do.

Today we were talking, me and Britt. And we got talking about how he'd been asleep for 3 whole months. I told him how hard it had been, to just sit with him each day, hoping and praying that someday he'd wake up. He started crying and pointed to his head, "I know autty, I know." I don't really know what that meant. I asked him if he remembered what he was doing and where he was when he was asleep. He said, yes, and cried harder. So now we are both crying. I asked him a few more questions which he couldn't really answer. He was trying to tell me something i couldn't understand, so I said, you can tell me about it later okay? It's the hardest thing in the world to see him cry so hard like that…I just wish that i could trade him spots somehow.

This is a roller coaster, I'll tell ya what. But it's okay! There are plenty of ups to go along with the downs. Thank you for your prayers and love:)






13 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blog for a while now, and you guys are an amazing family! It's OK to have hard days and morn and day it's not fair, because ITS NOT FAIR! Noone , especially a kid should have to go thru something this hard! I have two disabled boys, and life isn't fair or easy but like you say, it's worth it! You and your family are inspirational and you are in my prayers! Keep writing, you are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if Britt heals completely to the point that he is the old Britt, your life will never be the same as it would have been had this not happened. You are changed from the path you would have been in and though I do not know you, I believe it is for your good. I say this from reading you posts and seeing a growth in them. This goes for the family and the many of us watching and feeling with you through your blog as well. Believing in Brett for all of our growth as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grieving for what was lost is part of the healing process and allows the healing to progress. Its ok and healthy to cry. Keep turning to Jesus Christ and the atonement just as you have for the whole time since the accident. Our prayers continue with you. Thank you for your family's example of faith and dedication. Thank you for your time to blog this trial. It has been a blessing to me. There have been times that you said just the thing that I needed to hear and was an answer to prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand a little bit of what you are going through. My mother suffered a TBI 2 years ago and our family has learned so much as we have helped her through her recovery and rehab. She has made more progress than the docs said was possible to which we are so grateful. However, as you know much of the recovery can be very frustrating and hard to watch. I have to remind myself often "it will all work out one way or another" and then just keep looking forward. The speech rehab has been SO hard and frustrating. We do alot of "charades" to figure out what she is saying. But through it all I know Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us. Our challenges and trials do make us stronger people and can bind our families closer than ever. Britt's story has touched hearts and families across the world. What you write strengthens others who may be going through similar trials. Thank you for your inspriational posts. Keep pressing forward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speaking from experience with two brothers, with traumatic head injury, it will be as if there were two Britts-one before the accident and one after the accident. Some changes will be subtle while other changes will not be so subtle. But the thing to remember is that he is still your Britt, and you will be there to grow and learn right along with him. The fact that Britt survived and is doing as well as he is means that Heavenly Father has a great mission for him here on this earth. But that doesn't make the journey any easier and part of that journey is grieving for what has been lost. A lot of people do not realize that part of the recovery is grieving; grieving the lost time, the loss of Britt before the accident. But please do not feeling guilty about the grieving for what has been lost. The grieving process is also a healing process not only for you but also for your entire family and Britt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your post today. I can't even imagine what this whole process feels like. But reading this makes me so happy! I hope for the day when Britt can tell us everything he saw and experienced while he was "sleeping". We will make our prayers specific for either clearer speech or your family's increased ability to understand him!! All our love!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply amazing! You are handling this better than most people would. That is because you have a strong testimony of Heavenly Father. It is okay to feel upset some days. It is part of the healing process. The good thing is you are always facing toward Heavenly Father and you trust in him for everything. Keep doing what you are doing. Your brother rocks! He has changed lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And because he hath done this, my beloved brethren, have miracles ceased? Behold I say unto you, Nay; neither have angels ceased to minister unto the children of men.
    Moroni 7:29
    I couldn't help but think about this scripture after reading this post. Thank you so much for sharing his progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really loved this post. I recently found your blog and have poured over each post. It is such a blessing that you've shared his story and recovery and your story as you cheer him on. It will mean so much to you to have this all written down. But it means something to me as well. A total stranger who has now cried with you and cheered from a distance. I really appreciate the love you have for him and that he has you and a loving family by his side. Life is so dang hard and worth it all at the same time. I know the pain of watching someone you love suffer and it is so incredibly life changing. It has literally opened my eyes and you sweetie have embraced this journey beautifully. Your whole family has! Grief is real and it will flow often. But joy is just as real and always possible. I live to find joy in my journey each day and can that you do too. I believe for your boy Britt! Praying for you all. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called DR EMU, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of DR EMU, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Contact him via email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete