Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Little Victories


So this is how I woke up.....

My mom answered the phone, and all i hear is "HELLO, WHAT HAPPENED?" in a frantic voice.

I've never popped out of bed so fast in my life. I didn't know if my dad was calling to say something was wrong. literally my heart dropped, kinda like that sick feeling you get.

Then she sighed really big, and still sounded frantic and i was like WHAT THE HECK MOM, WHATS GOING ON??

Then she waved her hand signaling that it was all okay. HOLY SMOKES, way to give me a heart attack.

She started sounding surprised and so excited....of course I started freaking out and almost crying because I thought he was awake!!!!! The conversation had something to do with his eyes, so that was my automatic assumption.

Then she got off the phone and told me that he was tracking with his eye. I guess my dad had held up his phone in front of Britt's eye and he moved it side to side and Britt followed it with his eye. THAT IS HUGE! like very exciting. He had never shown any movement in his eyes so this was such good news.

Little victories...thats what we live for.

My friend, Riley, who works here in the Acute Rehab, has had a few things hard things she has had to face in her life, and I have always admired her for the strength she has shown through the years, despite traggic circumstances. She stops in and talks to me every once in awhile, and she said something that stuck. She said...there's plenty of hard stuff, and those things stink...but it's those little victories that you hang onto, and that get you though it. HOW TRUE IS THAT. Such words of wisdom she has.

He had a great day! Today when we stood him up on his feet, he showed muscle contraction which is a good sign! He did great with with all of his therapy and his therapists are really impressed with how limber his extremities are.

They put a pick line in him today, its like an iv they run from your arm into your heart, and so it will eliminate all of the pokes he has to get for tests and antibiotics. Crazy what they can do, right?

Last night we got some visitors here at the hospital, two snowmen and a santa clause! it was my aunt Sheila and her friends. They were hilarious, and it definitely brightened our day! Those little selfless acts of service to make us smile or help us out, mean more than you will ever know. It blows me away the kindness everyone has in their hearts.


Shout out to Cooper Camp, and his family, for all the hard work they are doing with their hot cocoa stand!! Cute little cooper is quite the amazing little boy. He raised about 1300 dollars for "the boy down the street", thats how he knew of our Britt, selling his hot cocoa on the weekends in front of their house. It seriously melts mine and my families hearts what this young boy has done for us. It means so much. He is in 1st grade, and has done this for 3 years, each year raising money for a philanthropic cause. How cool is that. That at such a young age he understands and knows the value of charity and love. Yet again the perfect example of christmas spirit. We are glad he got to meet Britt and tell him about it a little bit!


10 comments:

  1. Hi Autumn, I don't know you or your family at all but I am from St. George so heard about your brother's story. I've been following your blog for a while now and I just wanted to thank you for your positive attitude. I've truly been touched by all you have shared as I am sure many others have. You and your family are amazing. Prayers are coming your way from Las Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, I've been following your brothers progress ever since you started this blog and I've enjoyed all your positive posts as well. Thank you for keeping us updated were all praying for britt. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother was in a 4 wheeler accident and was paralyzed from the neck down. He was in the hospital for months and we went through similar ups and downs. I pray for you, your family, and especially Britt every day. Love from Layton UT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Autumn. I am Lisa Thorpe's cousin and started following your blog faithfully since I saw Lisa's link on FB. I have been sharing Britton's progress with my family and we are all rooting for him. He is so lucky to have such a strong and loving family. You are in our prayers. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little victories are great. Thank you keeping us all up to date. Merry Christmas to all of you. Although this Christmas is not exactly what you ordered, I am sure you are feeling the pure love of Christ which is the greatest gift you can receive. Britt will wake up. Hugs for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Autumn! Your enthusiasm is sooooo contagious and inspiring! Thank you for the daily updates, you don't really know me, but my son Trevor played football with Britton this year, he was devastated the night he heard Britton was hurt so bad. Trevor and I, both, check your blog EVERY day, last night we were cheering to hear the good newsπŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€we pray for your family, especially your mom and Britton, every day. I think about all of you so much, I say little silent prayers for you probably 100 times a day! I even have a sister in Jakarta, Indonesia that prays for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Happy Dance for Britt and little Victories. Autumn I wanted you to know that I put all the Shipp's names in the Mount Timpanogos Temple last night while we were there. When We got home, our 16 year old son Blake and his friends were just arriving home from 4 wheeling up the canyon near our home. I asked if they had worn their helmets. They all said yes. Then one of the boys piped up that Blake had told them about Britton Shipp to inspire them to put on their Helmets. I was a proud Mama. Just wanted you to know that Britton and his story are inspiring boys in Payson Utah. I read parts of your blog to our family. I am sure if we had stayed your neighbors in Santa Clara that Britt and Blake would have been good friends;)
    Sending our Love and Prayers to the Shipp Family from Payson,
    Heidi and William Olsen family
    We hope and pray you will feel our love and God's love you all and that you will truly have a Merry Christmas Celebrating Christ's Birth and His gift's to us even from a hospital room. Wishing God's Tender Mercies to shine down on Britton and the Shipp Family even as the star in Bethlehem shone down on the Christ Child.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been following your blog for sometime now. A friend I met through our LDS church here shared your family's story. I pray daily for your family and Britt, and I check everyday to see your updates. We had a little "jump for joy" moment today for you and your family. Thank you for sharing this small but BIG moment. Love and prayers from south Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard your story through Facebook friends who live in Santa Clara. I have been following your blog and admire your positive attitude and faith. May you and your family be blessed with peace and joy as Britt progresses. I too had a brother in a coma after being hit by a car on July 26 of this year. I feel for you. My blog is ronsroadback.blogspot.com. sometimes it helps to know you are not alone. I find others who experience my tragedies in a slightly different way. I believe God leads us to individuals who help us. Your Faith has helped and encouraged me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete