Thursday, January 29, 2015

Can't Stop, Won't Stop

just a little somethin bout Britt. Ever since he started playing football way back when, he has played qb! He has always been one of the smallest kids on the field, but that has never stopped him from hustling, working hard and getting the job done. He loves football! He is fast and smart and has a heck of an arm! If he isnt playing quarter back, he's probably playing safety. He is just as scrappy on the defensive end. I love watching this kid play football. Here is a video of a crazy play when he was younger.


Today has been a pretty quiet day! Britt got to take a nice long shower this morning, and was even scrubbing his own hair. Then he took on about 3 hours of therapy and worked really hard, as usual. He was super tired after though, and the rest of the day he has pretty much just been relaxing and resting. He has figured out how to touch his face and his hair, and it's like he is amazed at these new discoveries. It's hilarious, he is always touching his ears, and nose, and head now. We think that he might have some sensations coming back, like itching and tingling so that's why he is always touching them. He has me scratch his scars for him about once every 10 minutes hahaha, he says they are itchy. He can do it by himself every once in awhile. He was having his nurse scratch him behind the ears today like a little dog and he loved it, we thought it was pretty funny. He has started to be able to close his mouth on command, and we have noticed that the right side of his face is starting to get some feeling and movement back! So those are great signs!! He also has this new obsession with his tongue...always sticking it in and out and up and down. I just love the kid.

Last night I watched a bit of the snow canyon sophomore basketball game. I did fine at first cause I was trying not to think about it much, but then I couldn't help but think that I should be there watching my little brother play. That he should be out there on the court bringing the ball down the court, playing scrappy defense like he does, getting steals, and dribbling around like a little maniac. A couple days before the accident, Britton had texted me. Not a day goes by that I don't go back through those messages. He asked me how I was, what I had been up to, all that stuff. He told me about how basketball tryouts were in a week and how he was so excited for the season. He said he was a little bit nervous, and I told him he would be just fine, to play hard and have fun doing it. I was so excited for him to start playing high school ball, and to get to play on that court. Some of my favorite memories and biggest lessons were learned right there, so I was so eager for him to experience all of that too. As I was watching those boys out there on the court, it hurt my heart a little bit. I hope that someday he will be out there again with them. Because I know he loved it. I noticed a few of them had 7's written on their arms. That made me cry. I thought I was going to have to leave but I got it together haha. That really meant so much. I don't think those boys will ever know how much it means. To know that they are thinking about him, and that in a small way, he is out there on the court playing with them. It's the simplest things, that have the most meaning.

My dad is with britt in the early mornings, and he said that he has been starting to help dress himself, he lifts his legs up, puts them through, lifts his arms, tries to pull his arms through and his head. He is getting much better at it!

So something pretty cool happened today. We wanted to see if he could read things, and HE CAN. We held up a bunch of words in front of him, and we asked him what they said, naming a bunch of the things and then what it actually said, and he nailed it. We were so excited!!! Something is working in that brain of his:)




3 comments:

  1. so happy to read about such great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being able to follow Britt's progress. Thanks for keeping us informed.

    ReplyDelete