Monday, January 12, 2015

Family Over Errythang

Hey it's just me, Britton's favorite sister, again. The last couple of days I have been up in salt lake squaring away some things with school, softball, and my house.

Today has been a tough day.

A lot of people have been asking and wondering what I am going to do about school and softball so i figured I'd tell the story.

About 3 weeks or so ago, I had to start thinking about what I was going to do about going back to school and playing. But it was something that i didn't want to think about, talk about, hear about, nothing. I didn't want to address it because i didn't want to have to make a decision.

I didn't want to have to decide between two of the things that i love most. So i just put it off for awhile longer. People would ask and I would just say I don't know. Obviously I had been being very prayerful about it for a long time, but I wasn't seeming to get an answer. It was so frustrating, and stressful. I couldn't sleep for weeks, just because my mind was going a billion miles per hour thinking about all the possible pros and cons, all the possible scenarios, I asked all my friends and family what they would do if they were me, and in my position. I contemplated over and over again...everything. It got to the point where I couldn't even talk about it or I would just cry. And it wasn't just weighing on me, it was weighing on my parents too. They didn't want me to have to sacrifice the opportunities I'd gained by working my entire life to get. I could tell it was killing them too. If I went back, I wouldn't ever be able to come home, because we would be either on the road playing, or have games at home. How could I be away from Britt for 4 months? I couldn't. And I couldn't help but think that my mind and my heart would be back at home with my family and brother. How am I supposed to perform the way I want to on the field and in school if I'm not all there. And I'm not the type to do something if I can't give it 110%.

So, as I continued to pray and think about what I should do...I decided to lean towards staying home, foregoing my softball scholarship and school for the semester. I prayed about that, a lot. Wanting to know if it was the right choice.

Let me just say this. The lord hears our prayers. He hears them loud and clear, and he answers them.

My answer came in the strangest way. It's not necessarily by how it comes, but through the feeling you receive. I was just catching up on reading Facebook messages, and replying to all of the sweet words so many have to offer, when I started reading one in particular. As I read it, the words were everything I needed to hear and everything I was looking for. The spirit hit me like a ton of bricks and I knew that I had made the right decision. I had this burning feeling inside almost, and I couldn't deny that the spirit was confirming that for me. I just started bawling. Like uncontrollable tears.

I had been putting off calling my coach until the last minute. It was a conversation I was trying to avoid like the plague. I didn't want to have it. After talking to her, it felt like this huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders. I cant explain it. Everything had been so hard/frustrating/stressful/unclear seconds before, and now it was all okay. I just felt peaceful about it for the first time. I am incredibly blessed with the greatest coaches and teammates in the world. They have supported me and been there for me the entire time. I could never thank them enough for how they have helped me. And that is what made it so hard. They are my family too. Every single one of them. Not just teammates, but my fam. It was the worst thing in the world have to choose between my two families, and something I've worked so hard for my entire life, my dream ever since I was little, one thing that has helped shape who I am as a person today.

I've never not been playing a sport, so i questioned what it would be like to no longer be an athlete. I guess just because they have played such a huge role in my life. It's kind of who I am in a way. A lot of who I am, what I believe and what I stand for I learned on a field or on a court. So how could I just all of a sudden be done. It was something that was really hard for me to wrap my head around. Not getting up every morning at the crack of dawn to go lift and run, no more getting home late after a 14 inning game and having to get up and do it all again, no more 4 hour practices, or missing the majority of class because we are on the road playing, no more tears cause i went 0/4, and no more fist pumps on second cause i went 3/4 with a double down the 3rd base line, no more high fives and chest bumps after scoring a crucial run, no more crying and laughing with the team and girls that I love, doing what we love. I would ask myself, how was I supposed to go about my life without that? I think it was so hard because it's really all i've ever known. That's what i've done for about 20 years now it seems like. So it's just a big part of my life. To let go of it, was really difficult.

Here's the thing though. If we are talking about the big picture here, family is at he top of the priority list. Once hundred percent of the time. No exceptions. I think everyone would agree.

Nothing is more important to me than my family, and my faith. And I would be and am willing to give up whatever I need to for any of them. I think about it, and as hard as it is for me to give up softball, it is such a small sacrifice, to be here with my brother, every step of the way, through the hardest time of his life. And all of ours. There is no where else I want to be. And that is what it comes down to. I want to be with him, by his bed, holding his hand, giving him pep talks, telling him i love him and I am proud of him for as long as it takes to get him back. I wanna be there when he wakes up. I wanna be there when he learns to talk and walk again. I wanna be there to cheer him on when he feels like giving up. I wanna be there for him when he needs to cry and let it all out. I'm his sister, and I'm gonna be there for my brother. Because I know he would do the same for me. No way could I choose ANYTHING over that.

This is really personal but I'm going to tell you anyway. One night when it was just me and Britt, I was talking to him about what he thought I should do. I got the most overwhelming feeling that when Britt was up there in heaven, and decided to take this challenge, he said Aut, I can't do this without you...so I said, alright, lets do this.

And here we are. It was hard telling my team today about my decision. But I'm happy with it and I know it was the right one. I know that I will never regret it. Because how could I regret staying next to the strongest, most inspiring and special young boy who I so luckily get to call my little brother, as he takes on the road he has ahead of him.

I dont even know if any of this makes sense, so bare with me if it doesn't.

Family over errythanggggg

I love you Britt. Let's do this.

23 comments:

  1. Wow! What a decision you had to make! I remember the commitment you girls had in 5 th grade at Santa Clara Elementary. When you put your mind to it you could do anything. Know this...your chance will come again. You are still young! My brother died when I was at school in a car accident on Kolob Mtn. If I had a chance to be there for him I would've taken a time out and been at his side. I enjoy reading your blog. You are amazing...your posts are uplifting and so insightful. Know that we are pulling for your bro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

      Delete
  2. My tears are flowing. Britt is so blessed to have you for his sister. May Heavenly Father pour out his blessings on you in your future, as you so selflessly sacrifice your own life plans to serve your brother and the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autumn, you are so brave! Our family reads your blog every day here from California and are praying for Britt and your family. Just know that as you make this change in your life you are not leaving athletics behind, you're just changing roles. You are no longer a player but now a coach - Britton's coach. And that is the best team in the world to be fighting for! We wish you all the luck in the world, we will be cheering you on!
    -The Westwood Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been sick too, knowing that whatever decision you would make would be difficult. All I know is one thing, YOU ARE GOING TO HEAVEN. What a selfless decision you have made. You are a TRUE example of sacrifice and having your priorities in the right place. I know that you will be blessed by this in so many ways. Thanks for sharing, I am more impressed with you with each and every post. I think I'm going to go cry my eyeballs out now. You're amazing-Britton is ONE lucky boy to have you by his side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Autty, I always knew this would be your choice. Giving up something you love for something you love even more. The best people always have to make the toughest decisions, sometimes between right and right. You will always be a tremendous athlete and will be able to help others and continue to play, but the strength you give your family will bring joy unmeasurable because I know it already has for you. I have watched you every week and know all the good you are doing- along with the joys and pain. I knew you would never be able to leave his side. So proud of you. Lots of hugs and continued prayers! I look forward to "lunch day" every week! Thanks for sharing your goodness with millions. The best is yet to come!! Love you tons!

    PS. Remember the days of choosing not to play ball on Sunday? That prepared you for this very moment. You've always been choosing the right and been guided and blessed for that righteous choice. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are correct! I am sure you 2 decided to do this together!! You are such an inspiration. What an amazing big sister you are!! Thank you for the blog posts. I check every night. I know we don't know eachother, but you know Clint & he is married to my cousin Amy. Thank you for sharing this very personal journey with the world. We all need you & Britt in our lives!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ship Family,
    The Jon Graf family is following your updates each day. We are so excited for the progress we are seeing. Please know your family is in our prayers constantly. Thank you for the wonderful Christ like examples you have all been. Keep pushing yourself Britt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heavenly Father has your heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Autty, you are my hero! Someone ine a previous comment took the words right out of my mouth.... You're role has just changed. You've always been the player. Now you are the coach! Britton is so lucky to have you for his coach and big sister! I am so proud of you sweet girl! You will never regret your decision.... You are an amazing girl. I love you❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Autumn, not sure if you know this, but "you're kind of a big deal" for that bro of yours. What a great support you are to your family. With love and prayers every day, from a friend of your sweet mom, Cathy Hill

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, I felt the spirit so strong while reading this post. I can't even explain it. Thank you for being such an amazing example to so many. I'm praying for Britt and your family every day. Much love! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Autumn--For weeks now I have been wanting to tell you how incredibly special you are. You are such a tremendous tool in your Father in Heavens hands. I know we can't say that your sweet Britt agreed to this trial in order for you to touch as many people and lives as you have----but just maybe it is the case. Every day there are many who reach deeper into their spiritual reserves to validate the great truths that you teach each time you post. And each day those reserves are filling. You absolutely made the right decision today to stay on this learning and teaching road with Britt. You have so many opportunities ahead of you and this road is taking you right where your Father in Heaven wants you to be. Thank you from all of us who religiously wait for updates about Britt and fill our reserves at the same time. Thank Heaven for you-- not just for Britt but for a world all around you in need of your faith and your strength and your great ability to communicate both.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's like we're all watching a movie or reading an intense book and are all so relieved that you made the "right" decision. One that no one could tell you to make. Not an easy one to make or do but I'm sure it helped that you made that decision before you were even born. You were taught by a great coach growing up that knows how to win and now it's your turn to get your team to win ;) (I mean your dad-not cam or wade ;) even though wade did take you to a championship ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Autumn,
    The fact that you have listened to your Father in Heaven's promptings tells you He will have your back in this experience. It was not an easy one and He knows that. That is called sacrifice or like you said, "Family First." Britt will wake those handsome eyes up soon, he is doibg so good. Prayers are still coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful sentiments! Imagine how the win will feel when it's your brother giving you the fist bump. What a miracle season it's going to be!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It made sense - believing in Brett

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been following you from day one and am so excited for the progress. If you get a chance and I am sure that others maybe have already talked to you, go to google and google JJ virgin son accident. She swears by fish oil that helped bring her son back to full function. I have heard of fish oil helping in head trauma cases.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are amazing! What a selfless thing to do for your brother and family. Being with Britt on this journey is something I'm sure you'll never regret. Now, you're his cheerleader ♡

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so proud of you, Autumn. You have made the right decision. You're right where you need to be. Thanks for being such a great example and a strength to all those around you. Keep the faith and Heavenly Father will work His miracles. Much love and continued prayers for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful message of love and loyalty. What a selfless decision you made. What a tremendous example you are. Your brother is blessed and lucky to have you in his corner.

    ReplyDelete