Sunday, January 11, 2015

Tender Mercies

Tender Mercies

Autumn had to head up to SLC for a couple days so you got me for the blogger tonight.

Britton has had a excellent week. This is Day 71 and today turned out just as great as Days 66-70. This morning started out about like the rest of our mornings. I wake up, look over at Britt from my cott in the corner and say "What's up Britt, you ready for another great day?" he will either just lay there or he'll give me a thumbs up! When he gives me the thumbs up I feel bad and wonder how long he's been waiting on me to get up and get going? Never the less I hop up and get things rolling. I tell him what day it is, what time it is and how it looks outside for weather. I let him know he has school in about a half hour and he better get showered & out the door so he's not late? Then I put a little deodorant and some Axe spray on him to make him feel like he's ready for the day. When all that is taken care of I start asking him to Give Me a Thumbs Up, Stick Your Tongue Out, Move Your Right Foot, Wiggle Your Toes, Squeeze My Hand, Lift Your Head Up Off Your Pillow, Shake Your Head NO, ect, ect all the regular things we have been working on! Today I ask him a question that he would usually answer yes to by a Big Thumbs Up and he gave me a Head Nod for YES instead! I just love when he makes another big move like that on his own!
Today I sat him up in the chair position and ask him if he wanted to ditch the hospital issue "Dolce & Gabbana" tie it up in the back gown? He nodded yes and I put on his "Unitting4britton" #region9 safety yellow shirt on with his favorite Under Armour sweats. It all looked great, but just wasn't quite complete without his Atlanta Braves Grey Flatty! now he's looking good and comfy for Sunday of rest. When he has these kind of clothes on, it makes the nurses jobs a lot tougher to work on him and such. But whats cool about this place is that they love seeing Britt in his own clothes as much as we do. They love him and love seeing who he is......




Speaking of this place! I just have one big word for Dr. Rusty Moore and his Staff here......AWESOME! These peeps here are flat out amazing at Recovery & Rehabilitation. There is no doubt it was hard to leave "The family" we had formed at the ICU, But when Dr. Moore told us that we would love his staff and facility just as much when we got over here. He was right! When all the Dr's, nurses & staff at the ICU told us it was time to 'Graduate" to here, we didn't want to go because of the Love we had been shown over there by so many professionals. We knew we had to take the next step for Britton, but it was still hard to leave. We have formed so many more great relationships here and the level of professionalism is second to none! The greatest thing about both campus, is that they LOVE Britt like he's their own. We couldn't be more thankful for all the great people at DRMC that have worked on Britt, or that still are working with him. THANK YOU ALL!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for continuing to update us on Britt. He has so many people cheering and praying for him. As I was leaving the Gilbert Temple on Saturday where my Wife, our 4 Children and I just got sealed, I was walking out of the Mens dressing room and I looked over and saw the prayer card box. I immediately thought of Britton and the Shipp Family and made the appropriate prayer request. I was reminded that on the Best Day of my life there is still work to be done in this life. There are those that are fighting a good fight and they need to be supported and remembered. Britts story continues to inspire so many people and I am thankful that you share it with all of us. Continued prayers from Gilbert, AZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had been following Britt from your first blog post and we are so excited to see his progress so thank you for posting! My husband stayed at Dixie Acute Rehab for 3 months so we have a special place in our hearts for the staff there. We were so excited when Britt got transfers there Its a place of absolute miracles! Your son is in great hands with Rusty and Troy and all the others taking care of him. In fact, we visited a few weekends ago to say hello to the rn's and pt's. We passed my husbands old room and Britt is now the current occupant. My husband couldnt be happier. He tells me thats the best room in the whole place and he was glad that is the room your son got. Your family is in our prayers! Stay strong! I can tell you from 3 years out that It only gets better from here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for keeping it going in Autumn's absence! My boy, Jack wants Britt to know he loves his Braves hat. He is a new fan of the Braves this last year because he switched teams here in town and is now on the Braves! Please let Britt know he is inspiring so many of us with all his hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys check out this article on Glenn's site today!!! http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/01/12/he-remained-trapped-in-vegetative-state-for-12-years-then-he-miraculously-awoke-and-had-a-jaw-dropping-story-to-tell/

    ReplyDelete