Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Best Day Yet

Today was the best day yet.

It started off bright and early, when the speech therapist came in to evaluate Britt.

She asked him some simple questions, and was told if the answer was yes to give a thumbs up, and if no, to not do anything.

Is your name Britton shipp? thumbs up baby

Do you have an older sister? thumbs up AND SHE'S A DANG GOOD ONE (he was thinking that i bet)

stuff like that.

He did so well, and answered correctly to most all except...

Are you married? (hahahahha which he isn't...at least not that we know of)

and Do you have a dog? (come on Britt, Buddy ran away like 4 years ago)

But it was so cool to see him respond like that. He also did everything she asked him to do as far as movement with his body went. (Lifting his head, wiggling toes, squeezing hands, shaking head, waving goodbye) So cool. Then she asked him to open his eye...

AND HE OPENED IT UP HALF WAY. JUST LIKE THAT. WAIT WHAT?!?!

We were freaking, and i mean FREAKING OUT!!! I couldn't believe it...nurses started coming over to his room to see what the fuss was about. Tears were flowing, emotions running high. And the best part was, he was following me with his eye...so i know he saw me. He kept it open like that for a couple minutes! I called my mom and dad crying telling them the good news.

Now he just needs to open them up, all the way, for good! BUT HE IS SO CLOSE I KNOW IT!!

"One small step for Britton, one giant leap for mankind." 

Or something like that, right?

But wait, it still gets good.

Then in physical therapy, he did so great. Following commands and more responsive than ever before. It was crazy. He was doing so many things all by himself! There were about 7 nurses and therapists in the room all cheering him on. Everyone was so excited. We heard an old man out in the hallway say "shut that door, it's too [insert profanity of your choice] loud in there." hahaha. But it was so awesome, THAT IS WHY WE LOVE HAVING HIM HERE. He is so loved. Everyone just wants to see him succeed and improve, even if it's the littlest things.

We were able to roll him on out in his state of the art electric wheelchair for a nice session of sunshine therapy after! It was much needed!!

Much needed until we got ambushed by a swarm of bees.

Remember the bee story last time we took Britt outside?! Yeah well, they came back for revenge or something.

It was out of control. Me and my mom just chilling there with Britt enjoying the nice weather when all of a sudden this army of bees comes swarming around us. As you can imagine my mother, had a small "moment" yeah lets just call it that...a moment, said a few choice words, swinging here arms every direction to get them away from Britton, and I put that electric wheelchair into overdrive, pedal to the medal, and we were off.

I think we caught air off a speed bump to be honest.

Just picture this.

Me controlling the wheelchair, my hand on this TINY little stick thing that controls forward and backward movement, i had it pushed down as far as it could go, my mom trying to push the back of it to get it to go faster, while trying to hold his head in place, screaming and panicking to get in the hospital, me just laughing my head off cause we cant go any faster and we are showing no mercy, swerving from side to side and aren't slowing down for nothing (cracks, bumps, downhill slopes on the sidewalk)

Let's just say I've never seen my mom so afraid/flustered/frantic/out of control in my life.

Maybe she thought they were african killer bees, i dont know.

But we made it out alive. barely. but we made it. and lived to tell the story.

So anyways, it was the greatest of days. After all of that, britt was knocked out, dead asleep, and still is as we speak. It was a hard, long day for him. But a great day.

THE STARS ARE ALIGNING. Keep believing for our Britt!!

Here's a little video:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXerWu6NS3I


25 comments:

  1. Such great news! Can't wait to hear how things go from here. He is such a trooper! Oh happy day, it sure made mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn, I check your blog multiple times a day and this post had me both laughing and crying! He is doing so well and your family is amazing!! We think and pray for you guys often!! Keep fighting Britton!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great news! Continued prayers coming Britt's way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are cheering loudly in Malad for Britt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Britt is such a rockstar! Actually your family seems to be all rockstars. This is amazing! Totally made me cry. Go Britt go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome news! The speech therapist in me is so excited for Britt's success. Prayers never stop. Hope never fades.

    ReplyDelete
  7. now that is Fabolous, Go Britton. Keep healing and Doing Grrreat!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You don't know me, but I have been following your blog for a while. You all amaze me, you are such a sweet sister. I was so excited about this post! Britt is in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read his updated every night & yeah I get emotional but tonight...wow!! So proud of him! Go Britt!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't know your family but I read about Britton in a news article and started following your blog around day 15. I give my family updates every couple days and everyone is interested. Tonight during our family prayer my daughter prayed so earnestly for your Britton to wake up it brought tears to my eyes. And now to read about him opening his eyes a little and tracking you today - we are so excited! Can't wait to hear the news that he's awake!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading this post makes me so happy!! So happy for your brother, you and your entire family. Praying every day for him to wake up completely.. I know it won't be long :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone here in Dallas praying for Brit including a missionary from Saint George. Elder K. Smith. I went to college with Russell and Rex and know your grandpa Shipp!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been following your posts through a mutual FB friend - Donna Dickman. Your posts make me cry, smile, and this one made me laugh out loud! Britt is so fortunate to have these blogs to look back on when he wakes, as a true testament of his journey. He will realize how many people prayed and cheered him on during this time. Your spirit and faith just amaze me!!! Keep it up Britt! Friends in Bettendorf, Iowa are cheering you on!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So awesome. I love people sharing these posts on facebook like troy ence and Nancy gubler. This south carolina family is praying for yall

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laughter and tears! ! Go Britton! We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laughter and tears, the best combination. Read this blog out loud to my son and we watched the video together. My tears were flowing and he was really disappointed the bee action wasn't on video. Haha Britt is amazing and even greater things are just around the corner. Continued prayers for you all, especially Britt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You don't know me but I have been following your blog since the beginning. I check daily for updates and you have been in my prayers daily!! I am so happy to hear of his progress!!! Keep on fighting Britt!!! You can do it!! I look forward to the day that we read that you are fully awake and eventually can go home!!! You will continue to be in my prayers!! Love to you and your family from Roy, Ut

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tears of joy and gratitude! What a fighter Britt is! And he is surely strengthened and blessed by the amazing love of his incredible family. We add our faith to his, yours, and countless others, and pray for his complete and full recovery! He is an inspiration. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love reading every day! Love your family and this video made me so happy and emotional. What a lucky boy to have you guys. Can't wait for him to be able to read this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah! We have been following this and thinking about you guys every day as well That is FANTASTIC news!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Praise God! You are doing such a great job Autumn. Your faithfulness is inspiring. So glad that you all got to enjoy your best day yet! Still praying.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How exciting!!! Prayers are still coming your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete