Monday, November 24, 2014

Dad


So you've heard all about my mom, Greyson, Ledger, and me...it's time to tell you about my freakin awesome dad!

He goes by the name of Jesse Randall Shipp. AKA the greatest man to ever live. And it just so happens that me and my brothers got lucky enough to get him as our dad. I swear my dad knows every single person west of the Mississippi. HE'S GOT FRIENDS EVERYWHERE. We cant drive down the road without 40 waves, and 30 head nods to by passing cars. And we cant go anywhere without him stopping ever 10 feet to talk to the person walking by because they know each other. As soon as I say my last name to anyone or anywhere..."Oh Jesse Shipp must be your dad." I'm not kidding about this either. He is every ones friend. I don't know if I have met more than a couple people in my life who haven't already known my dad. And it's because he is just a great guy. I mean who wouldn't want to be his friend.

Britton and my dad have always had a special relationship, I mean he does own the birthright and all. Ever since Britt was just a little guy, him and my dad were the greatest of hunting buddies, fishing buddies, 4-wheeling buddies, baseball playin buddies, layin on the couch all day eating nachos and watching football buddies. All that boy stuff...they did that together. Every day. Ever since I can remember. he taught us how to hunt, fish, start a fire, throw a ball, make a basket, score a goal, run fast, shoot a gun, chalk a field, hitch a trailor, pitch a tent, how to appreciate the millions of bright stars above you on a cot, the quakies in the fall, the fresh mountain air, the greenish blue lake water. He taught us how to be passionate, how to do what we love, and chase our dreams. He taught us how to be respectful, to be charitable, and kind hearted.

We have all been lucky enough to have my dad as our coach...in almost everything...all growing up. And if you know my dad, you know coaching is way more than just a hobby for him, it is a definite passion of his. He started coaching Britton when he was really little, and didn't stop until he hit freshman year. When it comes to a coaching standpoint, my dad is always expecting and pushing us to be the best athlete out there. He yells a lot, we cry a lot. Well mostly me, Britt mostly takes it like a man. But he encourages us and praises us, always wanting to see us succeed. But that's the thing. To get the most out of someone, you have to push them, you have to make them cry make them mad. And that is something my brother and I have always respected and admired in my dad. As much as it sucked sometimes, we love that he was hard on us when we weren't performing well, because he wouldn't let us settle...and he never will, whether it is in sports or in life. He sees the potential in all of us kids, and he expects us to reach that.

Britton is the strong, ambitious, and confident young man he is today, because of my dad. I have no doubt, that Britton is putting up such a great fight, because of what he has learned from my dad over the years. It doesn't matter if you are the underdog or the best in the game, if you want something bad enough, and you fight and work hard enough for it, you will achieve it. Because heart and hard work beats talent any day of the week. And I know this isn't football game we are talking about here...it's a traumatic brain injury. But I know that Britt has heart, and he has learned through the years, with my dad's help...that if he works hard enough and long enough...he will be successful. That's what he is doin right now. He's fighting, and he's fighting hard.

No matter how hard my dad pushes us, no matter how loud he yells, no matter how mad we might seem at each other, he always lets us know he loves us at the end of the day. He always tells us how proud of us he is. I can't think of a more perfect example. Someone who makes you work day in and day out, taking absolutely no short cuts and no easy way out, always expecting the most out of you because they know how great you are capable of being...But never cease to tell you how much you mean to them, how loved and how special you are. That's my dad. And it isn't just in sports...it's in life too. Whether it be in school, with our friends and our relationships, our church callings, or just who we are as people and individuals...He pushes us to be the best we can be. Responsible, honest, respectful, hard working, genuine, kind, grateful, giving, mentally strong, physically strong, spiritually strong and so much more.

My dad is the best man I know. He gives so much. He is so selfless and always wanting what is best for everyone else, never thinking of just himself. He would do anything for anyone in a heartbeat, that i know. Whether you are a stranger or an old friend, he would give you the shirt off his back. He works so hard, to give my mom and my brothers and me, everything we could ever want and need and more. I don't know if he sleeps or ever even eats...hahahahah, okay, he eats, i know he eats....but sleeping, i don't think he does that. He is just always going going going, whether it is work, coaching, hunting, he is a busy man. Although he does find time, to watch all of his "shows" that he DVR's. And he's got like 10 of them. My brothers all like to snuggle up on the couch with him and watch them.

Britton and my dad have gotten to spend a lot of quality time together the past year or so, a lot more than usual. they went on a week long trip to Alaska, bear hunting and fishing, with some friends. Britton hasn't stopped talking about how fun  that trip was since. They made a lot of good memories together out there. And the last few months, they've spent a lot of time out deer hunting together, and the inside jokes and stories i hear from those weekends make me wish i was there to join in on all the fun. When Britt turned 16 he wanted a specific truck, and even though it was hard to find and a little more expensive than my dad could afford at the moment, he did everything he could and bent over backwards, trying to find the best, nicest, 4-runner our there for my brother, and he did! Britt always has the nicest glove, bat, you name it...my dad makes sure of it. talk about "special treatment" haha just kidding, i have no room to talk;) Try being the only girl....it definitely has its perks. Anyways, that is just the type of dad we have...always wanting the best for us kids. and he works hard enough to make it happens. He wants us to have the best possible life and opportunities, and he would do anything and every thing to see that through.

The most important thing my dad has ever taught my brother and been a great example of, is how to be a worthy priesthood holder. He has always exhibited the power and strength that the priesthood holds, and has made it a point for it to be a centerfold in our home. always. It's his example, that has shaped my brother into the spiritually solid young man he is, and helped him to gain the testimony that he has.

I've never seen my dad so broken, so torn, as he has been these past weeks. I cannot imagine the pain he feels, or begin to fathom the hurt his heart is experiencing. His own son having to endure all of this. And for him probably feeling like he has to be strong and unmoved, for all of us. Even though I know he wants to break down and cry sometimes. I cant believe the strength my dad has shown, it is incredible. He has been nothing short of remarkable through all of this. I wouldn't be able to get though this without his example of faith and trust in the lords plan...thats for darn sure. None of us would. He sleeps with Britton every single night, holding tight to his hand, constantly talking to him, whispering words of encouragement, i love you's...he hasn't left his side, and he never will. he loves that boy with his whole heart.

I look up to my dad in so many ways, as do my brothers. He is the rock of our family. He is the perfect example of a what a father should be to his kids. And what a husband should be to his wife. He is truly an amazing man. And every day I'm thankful, that he is our dad.









2 comments:

  1. I have always looked up to and admired your dad. He's the kind of father and husband that inspires the rest of us to be a little better for our kids and spouses each day. Many of us are lucky to know him and we pray for him, Britt and your whole family. B4B

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful....I have always thought the best of your dad!! He has always been looked up to and admired....I feel very fortunate to be able to call him a friend....even though I haven't seen or talked to him since high school I have some great memories.....your family are very lucky to have Jesse a part of it!! Me and my family will continue to send our prayers!

    ReplyDelete