Thursday, November 6, 2014

Our Angel

Earlier today before I headed over to the hospital I finally got the chance to meet with Cassidy Otteson. 

The sweet girl we owe EVERYTHING to. She is the reason I still have my brother. 

From the moment everything happened, I haven't been able to stop thinking about her. Constantly praying for her. Hoping that her heart will be able to heal. 

The first thing my dad talked to me when i got to the hospital Saturday night was how Cass saved his life. That in those crucial first moments she did everything right. 

It is amazing to me, that under those circumstances, she was able to act so quickly and so calmly. Attending to my brother and his needs. 

She told me the whole story, as well as she could remember. So I'd like to share her words. 

She started off by telling me, I love your brother. I'm sure you've noticed, but I've had the biggest crush on him since the 7th grade. She said she couldn't sleep during the nights leading up to the date, because she was so excited. She picked him up pretty early, she said she knocked on the door, and he was just sitting on the couch waiting for her. She asked him if he wanted to get breakfast and he replied with some snide remark like, "breakfast is for the weak." so they got a mountain dew and a donut haha. Then headed up to Pine Valley. Cass said she and Britt were the "DJ's" and in charge of the aux cord so they got to choose the music. She said he just kept playing his county music, and they would switch off. They went out riding when they got there with all the other couples, driving all over the trails for a couple hours. They came back and made pizzas, she said Britton loaded his side up with ham and pepperonis, and her side was just plain. She said "he kept trying to sneak meat in my mouth." Then they played apples to apples, and Britton kept on putting down the funniest cards, but their team lost. Then 3 or so couples decided to go our shooting with one of the parents that was our there helping them. They shot guns for awhile, Cass teasing Britton that she was a better shot, because she and her family spent a lot of time target shooting. I guess Britt, Held up a shot gun and put his hands over his eyes, and nailed al tin can. She smiled, and said...he was a good shot I guess;) It started to get really cold, and hail. So they decided they wanted to go back, another couple had left a little bit earlier, and the other couple was going to leave soon too. So Britt and Cass took off, back to the cabin. She said they got about 2 miles from the main road, and they were just talking, she had told britt she wanted to go fishing, and he said he would bring her up sometime and they would go. They hit a washboard, puddle, of some sort , and lost control. The next thing she knew, she was on the ground, and looked over seeing Britton about 5 feet from her. She noticed he had blood coming out of his head and nose. and he was aspirating, throwing up blood and vomit. She hurried over to him as fast as she could, "Britton, hey Britt, come on Britt, are you okay?" She grabbed him, and turned him on his side, trying to clear the blood away and clear the vomit from his throat, she said he eyes were slowly starting to role back. She ran to the ATV and got a blanket to put on him, and she rubbed his hands and feet trying to keep him warm. She held him, and comforted him, telling him thank you for being her date, and that she loved him. and he started humming the melody to a country song. 

She said no one showed up for about 5 minutes. "I know I wasn't alone with Britton during those 5 minutes. There was someone there with us."

How powerful. 

It warms my heart to know that sweet Cassidy was there for my brother during it all. And so was our Father in heaven. That he wasn't alone, that he was being taken care of. Once again, I am so amazed and proud of her for having the strength and courage to do what she did in such a terrifying moment. 

She is truly an angel. Our angel. Britton's angel. 

Another couple pulled up to the scene, and Breckon Anderson started running to find cell service. A man in a truck drove by, and saw what was happening, and got some blankets for him, and went to get service as well. They lost service and the call hung up, but 911 was able to call back, and ping their location. such an unbelievable miracle. Britton was given a Priesthood blessing on sight. As they waited, everyone there gathered around him and said a prayer. 

When they finally got there, they pulled Cassidy away from  him, and put her in a car, she said it was so hard watching everything from the back window. Putting him on the stretcher and into the helicopter. 

I held her as she cried, telling me the story. I can hear it in her voice, see it in her eyes, and feel it in her heart, the love she has for our sweet boy. 

She is our angel. The most amazing girl I know. She needs your prayers as much as Britton does. Keep her in your thoughts. We will forever be grateful for her sweet spirit and heart. 

Thank you Cassidy, we love you sweet girl.






8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. I have been wondering about her and if she is ok. We forget about the pain she must be going through. We will definitely remember her in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post. I, too, have wondered about her. I have no question they weren't alone on that mountain. I pray she will continue to be comforted by our Father in Heaven. She truly is an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your family, Britton, and Cassidy are in our families daily thoughts and prayers. We also pray for strength to you all while Britton heals. Our heart and soul aches seeing what you all are having to endure. This blog is amazing, You are amazing and you have such a beautiful family. All our love through these times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much craig, that means so much! we are so thankful for the prayers and thoughts! It means so much to us!

      Delete
  4. This is a wonderful post! I have had Cassidy in my prayers and can't imagine how hard this must be for her. What an amazing way to pay tribute to her for her courage. Thank you Autumn for sharing this sacred and personal story so that all of our testimonies of God may be strengthened. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, it is the least i could do for such an amazing girl who had an amazing impact!:) thank you!

      Delete
  5. Although it's hard to read through the tears, it was so good to hear about Cassidy and how brave she was that day. I am sure they were not alone during those first critical moments. Thank you for posting this message Autumn. I will continue to pray for all of you and Cassidy as well. Britt is strong, keep the FAITH! (From someone who has been there).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, she is an amazing girl who deserves every ounce of credit, love, and prayers. Thank you for the thoughts and prayers for my brother and family, and cassidy. We are so grateful:) and i will keep the faith, dontcha worry;)

      Delete