Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Mother Shipp

I just want to tell you all a little about my mother, my sweet, perfect little mom Sommer!

She is everything wonderful and beautiful. She is the most amazing woman I have ever known, probably the most amazing woman a lot of people have ever know, and she doesn't even know it.

If you know my mom, you know she is the worlds BIGGEST worry wart. And i mean it. She worries about us going up the stairs because we might trip. One time last year, she texted me and said, Autty it's supposed to be really windy tomorrow in Salt Lake so be really careful and try not to go outside if you don't have to. And that is just typical. But that is why we all love her. SHE CARES SO MUCH. Like, so much. I know her every thought of every day consists of us kids, and worrying about us. And of course sometimes we get frustrated but really, how dang lucky are we that we have a mom who cares so much, and just wants us to be safe and okay?

My mom loves all of us, obviously, and me and her have such a special relationship. She is my best friend. And i know I'm hers. Not a day goes by that she doesn't tell me she loves me 1000 times. She is hilarious, sweet, a little bit of an airhead but that's okay, caring, compassionate, protective, spiritual, strong...oh so strong, courageous, hard working and so much more. She is super mom. My role model. My rock.

But her and Britt had something really special. When my mom was about my age, she lost her only brother, Adam, to cancer. I cannot imagine the pain, and sorrow she felt and went through. They were really close, i know that. From the way she talks about him still to this day, i can feel the love she has for him. She told me once that Britton reminded her so much of Adam. My brothers full name is actually Britton Adam Shipp. I know my mom has seen her brother in him, since the day he was born. She says they are just a like, soft-spoken, even tempered and to themselves, but so sweet and kind. I think my moms relationship with my brother is so extra special because of that. She loves that boy, Britt. She would go to the ends of the earth to make him happy and give him everything he wants and needs. We always used to give her crap, because she really does baby him, and gives him everything he wants, and caters to his every need. Rubbing his feet at night, putting icy hot all over his body after a game, massaging his head when he has a headache, taking him to the doctor when my dad says rub some dirt on it, buying him every chain on the internet until he got one he was happy with, letting him take her credit card and fill up his gas tank even though it was 3/4 full still. She would always call me worried about him and school if he wasn't doing well in a class, crying asking me what she can do to help him in chemistry because it was hard for him and he wasn't getting it. Calling me and telling me she was worried for him and his confidence when he'd have a bad game. Or calling me and telling me she felt so bad for him because he has been concerned about his size and height and she would do anything to help him and make him happy. Let's be honest, 80% of our phone calls were about my brother, because she cares so much about him, and if he isn't happy, she isn't happy, and if he is sad, she is sad. And Britton loves my mom. He loves her so much. He knows he can go to her for anything and everything. For help, for support, for comfort, for strength, for a good laugh. And especially when we are in trouble, we go to my mom because we know she forgives easily, and she can't stay mad at us.  for 5 minutes at a time.

She sits by his bed and holds his hand all day. Reading to him, talking to him, in her sweet, soft voice. Telling her she loves him over and over and over again. Telling her how proud she is of him over and over and over again. Telling him he needs to wake up, so they can go wash his truck together again, and so she can make him hot cocoa and cookies for breakfast every morning again because she misses it.

My mom is so strong. When this all happened, the first thing that came to my mind, is my sweet mom. This is her worst nightmare, her biggest fear, as it is every mothers. But i was worried for her and how she would handle it. She has been nothing short of amazing though it all so far. She had to be the rock for her parents when her brother was passing away, and now i will be the rock for her as we face this trial with our sweet Britt. She has been plenty strong, her entire life, and she continues to be. It amazes me to see her grace, and love, and faith. I cant imagine being in her shoes. It's hard enough as a sister. She still manages to smile and laugh with that million dollar smile of hers. I admire her. I look up to her. She is the perfect example of a friend, a wife, a sister, a daughter....but most of all a mother.





(She had to look up the word Benevolent)




11 comments:

  1. Autumn,
    Your mom is amazing. No doubt in my mind. She has to be the sweetest, kindest and loving person I know. Benevolent is a perfect word to describe her. (I had to look it up also!) Thank you so much for your blog. It is beautiful and inspiring. You and your family are in our families prayers.
    Monica Bracken

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mom's soft, sweet voice. I have noticed that about her every time I talk to her. I was so sad when I saw her interview on ksl...it broke my heart to see her cry. But she is a strong mama and I know she will do everything and anything she possibly can for Britt. Thank you so much Autumn for writing this blog and for being so open, honest, and warm. Also the medical info and updates about Britt's condition are helpful. We love Britt and we'll keep praying as long as it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autty, So many things I want to say but I don't know where to begin...
    I love your Mom to pieces!! She has the kindest heart of anyone I know. You kids are her every breath and you are so right that she worried about everything you all did. When I would have water days on Friday, I knew she would be a worry wart and I would have to tell her, everyone would be just fine. I felt so privileged that she trusted me with you kids!
    I can see different qualities of your mom in each one of you kids, and your all amazing!! The minute I heard about Britty Brew, my mind went directly to, "Oh no, my poor Sommer". I was so worried and scared about Britty but my heart was breaking for Sommer. So when I got to see her in the ICU being so strong and brave, I was so proud of her! You were by her side being her rock and so brave also.
    Autty, thank you for pouring your feeling out here on your blog. I check it a dozen times a day for new entries and updates. Your amazing!!
    My thoughts and prayers are with you all every minute and second of the day. Our Britty Brew is a fighter and soooo strong, I can't wait to look in his eyes again too and let him know how much I LOVE HIM!! <3
    Kisses & Hugs, XOXOXOXOXOXOXOX
    Kellie Hafen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to add this:
    I can't wait to sing this to him again and see his sweet smile!!
    Britty Brew, I Love you.
    You know I do, Mr. Magoo.
    You know it true, I Love you my Britty, Britty Brew!!
    I would always sing that to him when he was a little baby. (And even years later) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your perspective of your mother. It is amazing the strength we receive from Christ when we are in the midst of difficulty. Those closest, especially, to bear the burdens and suffering. I have also had hardships and in the difficult moments, I've reached out and he's been my supporting hand and my rock. Thanks for sharing. Inspiring, the love of a mother

    ReplyDelete
  6. The moment I met your mom I thought she was one of the sweetest souls. I know about worry wart moms....I am so glad I have gotten to know her, and your family...you are an awesome family full of love faith and strength.prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ....and I live in sg George And have heard and been touched by your family. Many prayers are being sent

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading this blog and I absolutely adore your mom!! She has a special place in my heart. Praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im a Sandberg and grew up down the street from your moms family. My dad got really close to Adam before he passed away and he would always come home and tell us girls (there are 6 sisters) that if we grew up to be like Sommer, we would be amazing. Ive always admired and looked up to her. And you can see her soul shine through your whole family! Your family and brother have constant prayers coming from Phoenix Arizona :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Autumn, your mom is the sweetest, to know her is to love her. I know she is so thankful to have such an amazing daughter and BFF. You are beautiful inside and out! I don't know anyone as talented as you are at writing- you find a way to say it how it is with such a positive attitude. Every post I read from you makes me laugh, cry and feel the spirit of our Heavenly Father. ( and cry some more ;).
    Just want to send hugs and love to your family from ours! Your family is such an inspiration- touching and strengthening so many lives even in your toughest times. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know this about your mom, explains a little more why she's such an angel. Give her a big hug from all of the Hendersons! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete