Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Getting through the storm

First of all, how cute is this picture. Such a poser, that brother of mine. 


Here we are, another day with our boy! So thankful.

Falling asleep to the sound of the ventilator and constant beeps, is becoming manageable believe it or not, and these chair things they have in the rooms, might not be state of the art recliners but they do the trick. 

The doctor explained to us last night that these next few days were going to be very important and likely very difficult. He refereed to it as the storming stage. He said this is when we usually see the numbers rise and things like the pressure inside of his noggin increase, which we are trying to avoid. This happens because the brain is going a million miles an hour trying to heal, regroup, and figure out what has happened. Fevers will be common, which will increase things like his blood pressure which increases his ICP. So they will closely be monitoring that to prevent it from happening. They are going to put him on a cooling blanket to keep his temperature at a good spot. 

The doctor came in this morning and poked at him a little, he showed signs of purposeful reaction to painful stimulus. He also told us that we could start some passive rang of motion things with his arms and legs...which means, the nurses moving his arms and legs for him occasionally. They will also try and move him side to side a little bit. He is getting minimal reaction out of his pupils, they aren't as dilated as they have been in the past. They want to try and remove some fluids today, he's got a lot going on in that little body from pumping so many medications, and other fluids through him. I was joking with him, because he has been wanting to "bulk" or whatever, and i said, yep...you're bulking now big boy. the term "swollen" has taken on a completely different meaning hahaha

They can do these range of motion things as long as his ICP doesn't rise. ICP stands for inner cranial pressure, so the pressure in and around his brain. The doctors don't want it to get past 20, and right now he is fluctuation between 14-16. This number is crucial. 

As long as the ICP doesn't get too high, the pressure stays in a good spot, which keeps the brain from having to expand elsewhere, and as long as the brain stays where it needs to be, it steers clear from the brain stem and doesn't continue to droop down. WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED. we need it to stay away from that bad boy!

So today, will consist mostly of monitoring and keeping everything under control, as we go through this so called "storm" 

He's been so tough. and he is only gonna get tougher.

i just want to share something really quick. Last night i finally got some time to look through my emails from my missionary friends, usually i read them every monday but i didn't have time to do that this week. But what a blessing. because last night at 12:45 was exactly when i needed to read and hear what they had to say. I probably had 18 emails, from missionaries all over the world, most of them my close friends, but some i didn't even know. Every, single, one, said the same thing.  I have been praying for your brother, and so have all the missionaries here, and i want you to know that he is going to be okay, we have all felt it. how powerful is that? i mean, missionaries are like a million times closer than us average joes to the spirit every day. So that brought such comfort and peace to my heart. 

Also, I had a sweet girl, whom i have never met, message me on facebook last night. Her brother had gone through a similar experience and i feel so honored that she would share such a personal story with me that was so near and dear to her heart. Me and my mom read her and her brothers story together out loud with Britt. Sobbing. Miracles happen everyday. We need not forget that. It is so strengthening to hear stories like hers and that they got through it fully and faithfully. 

I know my dad is very grateful for a visitor he had yesterday, Kyla. She had been in this exact spot in may and now is fully recovered and functioning. I know it strengthened his heart and testimony to hear and speak with her. miracles. 

our boy is going to get a miracle. today and every day. 

10 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about the time that I was able to spend with Britt when I was his 8th grade football coach. It gave me a lot of comfort because I know that he has weathered some other storms throughout his life. When my brothers and I took the reigns of the 8th grade football team we didn't know any of the kids. There were just enough boys that we had to split the team into 2 different groups. We maybe had 4 linemen between the whole group, but after we split into 2 teams it wasn't looking good. When we would try to throw a pass Britt knew that he wasn't going to get a second to drop back and pass, but he stood in there and took hits every time we tried to throw the ball. He never complained or blamed his offensive line. In fact, he would find reasons to congratulate them when we were able to move the ball forward on a pass play. He wasn't the biggest (in fact he was one of the smallest) but he was the one that most of the other boys looked up to. Britton has had an influence on so many people, including me, I am praying for him every minute. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that with me, i never really knew that i don't think. Thank you for believing in him, always. And for keeping him in your prayers, it means so much to us:)

      Delete
  2. You don't know me but I am aware of your heartache at this time and I am praying for your brother every day....sometimes several times a day. I feel impressed to tell you that I know testimonies will be strengthened because of this in many of our youth. Satan is attacking them on every front and something like this forces kids to dig deep and pray and have faith and Britton is helping them do that right now. Such a hard thing for your family, but thank you for taking this trial as gracefully as you are and being so open as it provides such a growing opportunity for so many. Keep staying strong! and we will all keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you tara, thank you for keeping him in your prayers! I do not doubt that this has strengthened and will continue to strengthen the testimonies of many young kids all over!:)

      Delete
  3. We are in your parents ward and I wanted to share our love for you at this time. As of today it has been 141 days since my cousins son was in a very similar accident. We have been praying for him regularly and have now added Brittan and your family to all of our daily prayers. At first my youngest daughter (your mom is her primary teacher) would pray for Brittan and his family then she saw a picture of the family on LDS tools she recognized your mom as her teacher and started to cry for her. She now prays for her primary teacher and her son Brittan. It is so cute. I wanted to share my cousins blog about their experience. She posted on facebook for all the family to keep us updated and has now put it all together on her blog. These next few days can be REALLY hard but miracles happen and I know that the Lord has a plan for Brittan and I hope it is the same as the plan we have.

    http://hopeforchase.blogspot.com/

    My cousins son is now home and against all odds he has learned to walk and is starting to talk again. I know this will be a long process for your family and I hope this blog will give you hope as the daily updates did for us. Know we love you all and are all here to support and strengthen you when you need it.

    Love the Lang Family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you sweet land family, his story is seriously so amazing, my faith in miracles and the lords hand in this has increased just by reading about chase. that is awesome that he is doing so well! thank you for sharing that with me. Thank you for the love, support, and prayers, you will never know how appreciative we are:)

      Delete
  4. so hi, my name is Sierra and I'm not the most loved person on twitter right now. I'm not sure if you saw the tweet, but I meant no disrespect by saying it. I can see how people are taking it that way though. I'm really sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see it, or hear about it, but dont you worry:)

      Delete
  5. Hey my name is Jolene and I thought you might enjoy reading this. My cousin had an accident 3 years or so ago where she fell off a 10 ft Culver in idaho. Her story is a total miracle! http://jamielambhilton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that with me:) truly inspiring.

      Delete