Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Reality Check

Today was a reality check.

Today was the scariest day of my families life.

Everything seemed to be going as it should, his numbers were staying stable and he was kind of just hangin out, doing his thing. They were putting his tubes down his throat as usual, and he started to cough. For a second, we didn't worry because he has done that before, it's a gag reflex. Heck, if i had a 7mm tube running down my throat i'd cough too. But he started to cough more profusely with more force. I knew something wasn't right. His face started to turn red, and i looked at my dad, worried. we realized his heart rate was dropping quickly, too low. I swear everything started beeping at once. All different kinds of beeps, coming from every machine and every monitor. Still clinging to his hand, the nurse asked me and my dad to leave.

I squeezed his hand tightly before i let go, "Don't go yet Britty." i said, as i rushed out of the room with my dad, both of us crying and so scared. so so scared. I can't describe to you the feeling. I am shaking as i sit her typing, trying to get it out.

Everything was getting so loud, the beeping, the rustling of people moving things in and out, the nurses and doctors running to his room. I feared that, that might have been the last time my sweet brother would be with us. A feeling that is indescribable, and it still hurts to think about.

My emotions were running high, as tears streamed from my eyes, i grabbed my dad, who was also beside himself. Face red, eyes watering, voice quivering. Seeing your tough dad like that, is very hard. I clung on to him, bringing him into me, holding each other tightly i said let's pray. Shaking, crying, fearful, i pleaded with my father in heaven to let him stay, even if it's just a little longer. I cried for the first half of the prayer, and suddenly got an overwhelming feeling of the spirit, telling me to calm down and breath. I paused, and my crying ceased. I finished the prayer and felt comfort. My dad ran to the waiting room to grab my mom. She walked in and saw us crying, expecting the worse. She clung to my dad as he held her.

The beeping of the machines seemed to be getting louder and louder. Every one seemed to stop what they were doing and run to his room. Pushing machines and carts into it. There was so much going on. and all i could hear was the loud alarms and beeping noises, not knowing what they meant. I ran to the waiting room door, opened it, and said to the visitors, "please start praying for my brother." and i heard later, that everyone in that room, whether they were here for us or not, dropped to their knees and started praying. so powerful. i came back in and slid down on the wall, to the floor, and buried my head into my hands and knees. I cried. unlike i had ever cried before. all i could think is, please don't let this be it. i could hear my sweet moms voice, panicking, crying, pleading that her son would be okay. Some of the nurses came to try and comfort me, and all i could say is "i am scared. i am so scared."

In that moment, I was so scared i was going to lose him.

I turned back around and knelt down on my knees again. beginning to pray allowed. The sound of the beeping machines too loud to concentrate. It sounded like a flatline.

The nurses came back around the corner, and told me it was okay. that he was okay. That things were settling down. I stood up and started sobbing. running over to my sweet mom and dad. we all held each other, and cried. Barely being able to breath. Our boy was still here.

We came back in and surrounded our sweet boy, holding steadily to his hands, feeling his sweet touch. Talking to him, letting him know we are so proud of him for getting though that for us.

This incident brought us back down to reality. My brother is suffering from very severe and dangerous brain injuries. He is in critical condition. And in the worst position possible. He is not, in any way shape or form..."okay".

Sometimes i think i forget this. I get carried away and blinded by all of the little successes and baby steps toward recovery, that i forget he is still fighting for his life. I have been very optimistic and positive through this entire thing, so have my parents and so has everyone else. And i will continue to be positive and optimistic. But i will also remember to be cautious and understanding of his condition. Not getting ahead of myself. It is so good to find joy in the little things. WE HAVE TO. that is all we have to hold onto. any little ray of hope. any word of good. But i also need to remember that every second i have with my sweet boy, every second my parents and i share with him, is a miracle and a blessing in itself.

We weren't expecting anything like this to happen today. to be honest, i have not even thought about setbacks, or failures, or bad news, or scares. He has just been doing so good and staying so stable, that it hasn't even crossed my mind. And i, as well as all of you reading and following and investing your hearts into my brother, need to be prepared. prepared for set back, failures, bad news, and scares.

It can go from good, to not so good in the blink of an eye, as we witnessed today. And me and my family are working on preparing ourselves as best as we can for good days and the bad. For the easy hours, and the hard hours. one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time. Granted his numbers all went back to normal shortly after the doctors got the situation under control, and he pulled himself back down to where he was at before it happened, but it just goes to show that everything can change in a split second whether we see it coming or not.

Continue to pray for our Britt. prayers are being heard, and they are most definitely being answered.

We love you. We appreciate your constant love and support and companionship. And your continuous belief in our boy!

As a family, we will be staying with him in his room for the most part of each day. You probably won't be seeing us much in the lobby or waiting room for awhile. We just need to spend a little more time with him, letting him rest, heal, and get better:)




22 comments:

  1. You are an incredibly amazing girl Autumn. So strong and so brave. I know your brother loves you and is so grateful for your love and faith. He needs it and can feel it, I know. We will keep praying for each member of your sweet family. You are a wonderful example to us all. Thanks for sharing all of these tender feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank yo deanne, you are so great, it means so much to my family, and my brother, that you are keeping us and him in your thoughts and prayers!:)

      Delete
  2. Autumn, thank you so much for being so caring, loving, and unselfish as you take your valuable time to share your experiences and feelings with all of us, as well as updating us on Britton. Your blog is comforting to all of us and I think I can speak for everyone when I say, we have all started a book we do not want to put down- YOUR book. Thank you for sharing your family's tender moments with us. We are so sorry for what you are going through. We love you. We will continue to pray for Britton and your family. Love, The Brooks Family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benita, of course!! it is the least i can do, for my brother, and everyone who loves him and has helped us through this hard time:) i am so glad you are enjoying following it!! thank you for being so good to my family, always! we love you guys!

      Delete
  3. Autumn, thank you for sharing your precious thoughts. My family & I have been praying for your brother since Sunday. Praying that the Holy Spirit brings healing. Praying for your strength too.

    Jared Riley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much jared, you'll never know how much it means to us!:)

      Delete
  4. Autumn-
    Thank you for sharing your heart with those of us who read the journey of your brother. I want you to know as you share you are solidifying the importance of the true meaning of the Gospel. Today was another one of those days that showed Heavenly Father's love for Britton.
    As we are traveling from Florida back to Utah we are praying for your family to have strength to deal with each moment, and feel the love being poured out to you all, but most of all we are praying that there are more continued blessings for Britton.
    Thank you again for sharing your thoughts on Britton's journey. You are a very talented writer (I just wanted you to know that.)
    ❤️ from the Brower family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet brower fam, thank you so much for such kind words and thoughtfulness! You guys are awesome!! It means the world to us, thank you for the prayers, and support:)

      Delete
  5. You are a great writer and I felt every word. I don't know you, but I can only imagine how difficult this time is. I will pray too. Sending you and your family love and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, THANK YOU! we are so grateful for your love and prayers:)

      Delete
  6. Very impressive, Autumn! You have a great family and there are a "ton of us" out here who are praying for the very best possible outcome for Britton! I know your Dad the best, as he used to hit BB's passed my head at 3rd base for many years! I've also enjoyed following your sport's career, even though "Red" has never been one of my favorite colors:). We live in Cedar Hills and it has been awesome to see the entire community down there come together, as they have, in support of your family! May the Lord continue to comfort you guys as you go through this challenging time! Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dale! it means the world to my family:) my dad said he had to hit it really hard to get it past you though!haha

      Delete
  7. Autumn,
    My heart goes out to you and your family. I don't know you guys, but am following closely thanks to a good friend from my youth....when friends matter the most....Cody Webber. I want you to know that I feel the spirit each morning when I read your latest post. Keep it up, keep the faith...this miracle will happen. Like you mentioned....every minute is a miracle....so true!! Here in Provo several months ago, there was a young lady (BYU student) who was in a serious long boarding accident who had a serious brain injury who was not expected to live. Her story is amazing and an absolute miracle....just like your Bro's will be!! Her name is Lexi and her FB page is Pray for Lexi. Maybe you have heard of her and her story....if not....take a few minutes and look her up and read her story from the beginning. It will renew your hope and make the hope and FAITH that your family and friends already have even stronger!! God bless all of you and Britt!!
    Much Love,
    Dave Clark and Fam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, thank you for sharing Lexi's story with me, i went and read about it and i definitely found some newfound hope and peace! And am even more sure that my brother can and will receive a miracle! thank you for following his story so closely, my family is so thankful for your thoughts and prayers:)

      Delete
  8. I know it's hard but at times it gets easier to handle. I know what ur family is going through, well it all starts with my dad being in the hospital and from their it was hard especially on me. I can remember what happened from their. I can remember feeling like It would be the last time that I saw him when my dad had his stroke.
    From then on I knew that my dad would make it or that he wouldn't , but I can remember feeling like I'm not prepared for this. From this experience I've learned that at times u need to say strong and when u are strong ur family will soon follow your example.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Autumn,
    Your next door neighbor Lolly Graf is my mom! As i sit here reading all of your posts, it just brings tears to my eyes. You guys are such a strong family! Miracles do happen, and i know he is one tough kid! I think it's awesome you are writing all these experiences down.. We will be praying for your sweet brother and your sweet family! Hang in there and keep your head high. - xoxo. -Kristna Okerlund

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristna, thank yo so much for believing in my brother, and keeping our family in your prayers! it means so much! we are so lucky to be surrounded by such amazing people like you:)

      Delete
  10. You don't know me or my family - my son attends Pine View High school. Every night as we pray as a family my son asks us to pray for your brother and your family. We pray for him by name and ask for blessings on your behalf. I just wanted you to know that there are people all over praying for you and Britton. Hoping for more miracles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, THANK YOU, thank you! that makes my heart smile. To know that you dont even know my brother personally but, you love him enough to pray for him and keep him in your thoughts, it means so much! we are so thankful!

      Delete
  11. Don't know you or your family, but went to the temple today and wrote down "shipp family" for the prayer roll. Please find comfort knowing that strangers from all over are praying for your brother and family! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you brooke! that is so thoughtful of you! and i do find comfort in that every single day, knowing that he has so many prayers coming his way:) thanks again!! you are awesome!

      Delete