Monday, November 3, 2014

Little Miracles



To all who are reading; first off I want to start off by saying thank you. Thank you for caring about my sweet little brother. Thank you for taking the time, to read this and keep up on his progress. We love you. My whole family. We are all so overwhelmed by the amazing friends, family, and community. I cannot even compehend how blessed and lucky this family is of mine, to be surrounded by such strength and sweet spirits. My brother is loved, that's for sure. And he knows that, i've been telling him all about the visitors, the phone calls, the notes, the posts on social media, the prayers, the fasts, everything. And i know he would want me to thank you all for believing in him and loving him like this.

On Novemer 1st, i revieved a phone call from my mom, she was in a little bit of a panic, she said Britton had been in a ATV accident up on Pinevalley mountain with his date, sweet Cassidy Otteson. It was the Sadies dance at Snow Canyon High School and they were on their day date. My mom said she didn't know much about what had happened but he had been taken away in an ambulence, but his friends said he was moving and breathing. So after hearing this, i figured he might have a few bumps and bruises, but that he was okay. I told my mom to call me after she found out more. I didnt receive a call for about an hour, and i started to get worried, so i called my mom back and my dad answered, crying. My worst fear had suddenly become a reality. I heard the panic in his voice and immediately broke down on my knees and started praying. Luckily my roomates were there to comfort me, and we all got together to say a prayer. After a few hours, waiting to hear back from my parents on what I should do, I called my softball coach and told her my situation, and she didnt hesitate, telling me to get to her house in draper as quickly as possible and she would get me down to St. George with my family as quickly as possible. She was sucha strength to me during that long 4 hour car ride. Not knowing a single thing about what was going on and my brothers condition was posing so many questions in my head, and she was there to talk me through it and distract me from thinking about it all. I will forever be grateful for her and what she did for me that day.

Britton and his date Cassidy were riding around the mountain with friends, they were ahead of everyone. It was cold, and hailing as far as i know. They hit a puddle of water and hydroplaned, they were both ejected from the ATV. Cassidy, was able to come to and see that Britton was struggling and throwing up, she hurried over to him as fast as she could, being injured herself. She turned him on his side, and started clearing the throw up and blood from his throat. This single act of courage and bravery saved my brothers life. If it had not been for sweet cassidy, hurying over to my brother and helping him, he would've died right then and there. She sat with him, holding his hand, doing everything she could to get him to stay with us, some other friends came up to the scene and ran for service to call for help. A man drove by on a truck right as this was happening and helped them. The Life flight came shortly after and took him away.

I was able to talk to one of Britt's friends who was there when it all happened, Breckon Anderson. What he said calmed my heart. He said as he and Cassidy layed there, holding my brothers hand, he said as Britt was struggling for air, and throwing up, he still managed to have a smile on his face, singing some country song, and telling them it would be okay. It strengthens me to know that in that moment of tragedy, my brother was nothing but himself. And he wasn't alone, he had his friends right there beside him.

As i was driving from salt lake to st george, i was waiting to hear from my parents about how the surgery went. Britton was undergoing surgery, he had experienced serious head/brain injuries and the doctors were going to do what they could to relieve pressure, stop bleeding, and swelling etc. I finally got the call, and he had made it through like the champ he is. It didnt suprise me. Little steps. and that was one.

I walked into the hospital doors with my coach, so nervous, so worried, but at the same time, so confident. I knew from the moment i knelt down to say that first prayer that my little brother would be okay. That it would all be okay. That feeling i had in my heart, that feeling of peacfulness, i couldnt wait to share that with my mom and dad. That doesnt take away from the fact that i was still terrified, the situation my brother was in is one we all fear and dread, and hope never happens. Seeing the hundreds of friends and family all there in the waiting room was amazing. so much support for that sweet boy. I saw my mom and dad and hugged them never wanting to let go. They are incredible those two. Such rocks. I went back to see my sweet boy, i was scared. as i walked through the ICU to his room. I didn't want to ever have to see one of my loved ones in that condition. I ran into the room and grabbed his hand. I cant descibe the feelings and emotions i was feeling. But i was overcome with so much love. So much love for my savior, so much love for my brother, and so much love for the amazing doctors who had helped him get this far. It broke my heart to see my sweet boy like that. Hooked up to a million tubes and wires and machines. His poor little head. But, i dont think i'd ever seen him so handsome. I just started talking to him, "my sweet sweet brother, i know you want to be the favorite child but you didn't have to go and pull a stunt like this to do it!!" I didnt let go of his hand for hours. so warm, just how i rememberd it. even sweaty. actually a lot sweaty. it must've been the first time holding a girls hand;) so we can't blame the kid. Me, my mom and my dad didnt leave his side that night. Constantly talking to him, and letting him know we were there. I kept on whispering Nacho Libre one liners in his ear, and i know he was peeing his pant, or into that bag thing at least, haha. "pssssssst, chancho, i need to borrow some sweats." It was a long night, very hard, i won't lie, but he made it. We were all feeling a lot of ups and downs, one moment, very optimistic and the next crying for fear of losing him. But if there is one thing i know, and i will stand firm to, it is the concept of faith.

A sweet friend reccomended Ether 12. So me and my family read it allowed with britton, and prayed one of the most spiritual prayers i've ever been a part of.

6 "And now, I, moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye recieve no witness until after the trial of your faith."

8 "But because of the faith of men he has shown himself unto the world, and gloried the name of the Father, and prepared a way that thereby others might be partakers of the heavenly gift, that they might hope for those things which they have not seen."

27 "And if men come unto me i will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will i make weak things become strong unto them."


little miracles. he made it to the helicopter. he made it to the hospital. he made it through the surgery. he made it through the night. little miracles.



8 comments:

  1. I'm a 15 year old guy with 2 bros and this almost brought me to tears. My prayers go out to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read some of your story. Thank you for sharing! I found something similar to Ether but even more profound as it is from the original, historic text: Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. and another original from 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10 “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. Blessings upon your whole family. Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. There tend to be not many people who can certainly write not so simple posts that artistically. Continue the nice writing acim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well. I am very impressed with your vision and insight. a course in miracles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. free online acim lesson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing. Blog acim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your post, I look for such article along time, today i find it finally. this post give me lots of advise it is very useful for me. Acim

    ReplyDelete
  8. On that question, I am firmly convinced we can not rule out the possibility of miracles. Despite the credible considerations which cast doubt on miracles, those considerations do not cast sufficient doubt. We must remain open to the possible existence of miracles. ucem em portugues



    ReplyDelete